[lbo-talk] M19 in New York City: No Troops, No Wars

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 12:51:56 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:44:39 -0500, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:
> Nathan wrote:
> >You may disagree, but it's a mark of the ineffectiveness of antiwar
> >leadership that they can't convince the vast numbers of antiwar
> >Americans, including those willing to stomp door-to-door through
> >states on behalf of Democrats that going to one of your rallies is
> >a worthwhile use of their time.
>
> How many people stomped door-to-door for Democrats without getting
> paid? My hypothesis is that paid activists went back home after
> their paymasters stopped paying them to plug Democrats.

I don't think door-to-door and street electoral work is that fruitful of a tactic, but despite this, a nice local Green I'm friendly with was running for an assemblyman, so I did it, more out of friendliness with him than that I thought it would do much. At one point I approached a group of young black men, who may or not have been 18 yet. I asked them to sign the form so this guy could get on the ballot and he said "How much are you getting paid to do this?" I said nothing and he said "Oh yaa? My friend is doing this and gets $X dollars a signature" (I forget how many dollars exactly he said). He wouldn't sign the form, he was just having some fun with me in front of his friends. In his mind I was hustling him, I wanted him to sign the form so I could put some money in my pocket. So all the Soros money and paid activists have been very effective - at making poor and working class people think anyone toting a clipboard trying to get ballot signatures is doing it for money. If I'm doing it for free, it's almost like I'm a sucker. I've also read about how in the past Democrat money funded local community groups offices and so forth, who had volunteers go out and do signatures for free. But they changed recently and cut that funding to local community groups, and now have everything centralized and actually pay people to go around getting signatures.

So the Democrats have been successful - a working class young black man who has someone ask him to sign a petition to put a Democrat or a Green signing a petition thinks someone is trying to run a scam on him. It's a great way to alienate this unwanted group from the electoral political process, which I would guess is the intention. Cutting funding from local community groups and handing the money over to some Dean-type database office is effective in regards to this as well. These DLC types know what they're doing.