[lbo-talk] Re: M19 in New York City

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Mon Mar 21 05:36:08 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Bizwas" <bizwas at lycos.com>

NN writes:
>>Um, did you even pay attention to the vote on Medicaid cuts this week
>>in the Senate? Bush proposed slashing aid and it was only solid
>>Democratic opposition, and a few GOP defections, that led to the budget
>>cuts being restored.>>

-Um, did you notice the topic was about STOPPING THE WAR with -demonstrations and party politics? STOPPING THE WAR. Anyway, thank god -for a few good Repugs to help out the hapless Demoncrats once again.

Since the Dems don't control the government, what's your point? Two-thirds of Dems in the House voted against authortization for the war. As I said in an earlier post, the obvious antiwar strategy is therefore to expand the number of antiwar Dems. But maybe that's too obvious a strategy for you, and you think walking aimlessly in the street and yelling will somehow intimidate Bush into changing policy?

>>$4000 may not be meaningful to you, but for low-income families without
>>your privileges, the difference in their lives is quite large.
>>It takes a hell of a lot of class privilege to keep yapping about the
>>lack of political differences between the parties. >>

-Takes a hell of a lot of class privilege to run as a Democrat, or -haven't you noticed?

Note really, Antonio Villlaraigosa, a former union organizer, is poised to become mayor of Los Angeles, the second largest city in the country. Barak Obama came from quite modest means to become Senator of Illinois. Fernand Ferrer, a child of Puerto Rican immigrants who grew up in the Bronx, is a lead candidate for the Democratic nomination for mayor of New York City.

>>Every serious advocate for the poor and working families, from unions
to poverty organizers, clearly see those differences.>>

-Tell it to the 100,000 dead of Iraq, Mr. Newman, afterall, the thread -was about stopping the war.

Yes, it was. And two-thirds of Dems in the House opposed that war. But you keep ranting, and ranting, and ignoring basic facts.

Nathan Newman

-- _______________________________________________ NEW! Lycos Dating Search. The only place to search multiple dating sites at once. http://datingsearch.lycos.com