[lbo-talk] Bugs at it again!

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 13:32:51 PST 2005

Todd Archer posted:

The Death of the Dollar

By Jason Hommel

Ceasar was supposed to be a god. Julias Caesar was killed on the Ides of March. (March 15th)

Today, we don't make men gods. Instead society has made our financial system into a false god. [...]

=================

Taking a detour of sorts (with all due respect to the gravity of the dollar's reportedly graveward descent), I have to say I find the language of these sorts of essays to be a bit umm, cliche ridden and dishwater dull (perhaps unavoidable given the topic but somehow, I doubt it).

Let's try that opening again...

Pai Mei, chief of the White Lotus Clan, was supposed to be invincible. Pai Mei was killed by Hung Tze Kwan after Hung learned the subtleties of "embroidery Kung Fu".

Today, we don't think White Lotus Clan Chiefs are invincible, but our financial system.

Or...

MechaGodzilla, the giant, cybernetic replica of Japan's atomic fueled scourge, was supposed to be the ultimate killing machine. MechaGodzilla was destroyed by Godzilla in the great battle of 1968.

Today, we don't think giant replicas of atomically mutated, mysteriously preserved prehistoric beasts are unstoppable killing machines but our financial system.

and finally...

Destiny was supposed to be the hottest dancer in the club. Tuesday night, Destiny made less money than Mocha. Destiny wasn't the hottest dancer in the club after all.

Today, it isn't Destiny we think of as being the hottest dancer to straddle a lap, but our naughty financial system.

.d.