[lbo-talk] Schiavo: big majority against the Reps

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 21 20:42:50 PST 2005

JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>>This ABC News poll also finds that the Schiavo case has prompted an
>>enormous level of personal discussion: Half of Americans say that as
>>a direct result of hearing about this case, they've spoken with
>>friends or family members about what they'd want done if they were
>>in a similar condition.
>

> Yes, I've told my spouse that if I'm ever in the same position I want him to
> remove my feeding tube and wrap it tightly around the neck of the nearest
> Republican politician.

I really don't give a shit about the Schiavo case, but I think that the American Left is going to tune this out and end up getting screwed by the aftermath. All of the polls show that most Americans think the government should stay out of this difficult situation. But the issue here isn't ethics. The right wing is playing this as another opportunity to mobilize their grassroots. Just look at the presence of Terry Randall in this controversy.

My gut take on this comes from what I'm seeing in my household. My mom and sister, who are ardent pro-life supporters, are following this case 24/7. My sister was even carrying a radio around tonight tuned into Michael Savage's show.

Crazy spectacle!

Chuck