[lbo-talk] Schiavo: big majority against the Reps

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Mar 22 09:32:33 PST 2005

>Chuck wrote:
>I really don't give a shit about the Schiavo case, but I think that
>the American Left is going to tune this out and end up getting
>screwed by the aftermath. All of the polls show that most Americans
>think the government should stay out of this difficult situation.
>But the issue here isn't ethics. The right wing is playing this as
>another opportunity to mobilize their grassroots. Just look at the
>presence of Terry Randall in this controversy.

The disability community has been completely omitted from the story hence there are many untruths being told and retold here. The right has grabbed the platform. For instance, Terry's doctor said that she is NOT in a "persistive vegetative state" as her horrible husband contends. She does have brain function. Secondly the doctor has advised that an investigation be conducted because the docs don't know what caused her condition. It was not a heart attack as much of the media is reporting. Whatever happened it happened on the same night that Terri told her parents that she was leaving her husband and moving in with them. The next morning they found Terri on the floor. The husband stands to gain $100,000 in insurance if he stays married to her and she dies. Her parents say that she does show emotion and reacts to them. The lawyer for the Shiavos says the same thing. I don't know but I think many people are jumping to conclusions because they fear being as disabled as Terri has become. Still you don't know that she would want to be starved to death. You cannot trust that atrocious husband who SEVEN YEARS after she had been injured claimed that Terri wanted to die. That was after he was in another relationship and having kids. There are more facts that I am not aware of because I have not been following this as closely as some others in the disability community. So I urge everyone to take a few breaths before making judgements.

Marta --