[lbo-talk] eBay as social protest channel

lbo at inkworkswell.com lbo at inkworkswell.com
Mon Mar 21 21:01:54 PST 2005

from another list:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5567661291&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1

Pretty darned funny. It's up to $100M so don't get sniped.

Ken

Excerpt:

Billionaires for Bush, advocates for the corporate elite, proudly auction off SOCIAL SECURITY Happy bidding! Happy bidding! This is an eBay EXCLUSIVE! Due to the surprising failure of carefully staged "conversations" across America to convince the American Public that Privatizing Social Security is a good thing, we have decided to take matters into our own hands. As a favor to President Bush and offered exclusively here to the winning bidder who meets our reserve, (must be a private Brokerage Firm, see details below) Billionaires For Bush can't wait to pull the switch on retirement security by circumventing Congress, the Will of the People, and good sense. Why not cut right to the chase? Concurrent with White House Goals and the Cato Institute, we're AUCTIONING OFF SOCIAL SECURITY! (Please note: Qualified bidders must be a Wall St brokerage firm! See disclaimer below.)

Facts: $ It?s the government?s most popular program. $ It?s running a huge surplus. $ It disbursed $492 billion to retirees, their survivors, the disabled and orphans in 2004?47 million people in all. And very few of those were CEOs! $ It delivers money straight to those who have paid into the fund, leaving brokerage houses completely out of the loop.

Benefits: $ Right now the system pays benefits to retirees, widoweds, disabled people, and orphans. $ It is also one of the cheapest and most cost efficient government-run systems. $ BUT, there is a major flaw in all of this; Wall St. isn?t cut into the deal! $ Bid today and put Social Security on the market! It may be a gamble for the many, but it?s a sure thing for the lucky few here on Wall St ? we make our commissions whether the market goes up or down!

Good questions from a few eBayers as well. ------------ Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but model train sets do a pretty good job as well

-- 2/28/05, in a odd dream

http://www.inkworkswell.com

"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft. You are one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young each day."

--Ptahhotep, Vizier to Isesi,

Fifth Egyptian Dynasty, 2300 BC