[lbo-talk] Covering Protests: the Iraq War and the Terri Schiavo Case

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Mar 22 19:06:19 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Well, they've got about 30% of the US pop, huge church organizations, a
> big chunk of Congress, and the White House on their side. It's not just
> the protesters - it's a well-organized movement with a large social
> base. If we had that, we'd be on the front page too.

I think you are exaggerating the numbers here. The whacko right wing base of the population may be around 30%, but the polls show huge majorities in favor of the husband in this case, as well as against the government getting involved.

Our side underestimates our numbers. Take a look at Bush's popularity ratings graph over the course of his presidency. Even in the weeks after 9/11 when Bush hit his peak in support, 10% of the population still hated the bastard.

Chuck