[lbo-talk] dumbest spam of the day

lbo at inkworkswell.com lbo at inkworkswell.com
Wed Mar 23 12:24:53 PST 2005

At 02:56 PM 3/23/2005, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Eugene Vilensky wrote:
>
>>Are you sure it's dumb? There was that study that proved that people
>>can read words that have all the right letters but only the first and
>>last are in the right order, almost as easily as proper words. And
>>this got past your spam detector. And I fricken read part of it. In
>>fact, it's been quite successful as far as "eyeballs" go. Hmm.
>
>Would you ever act on such a thing, though? It practically shouts "I'm a
>fraud!"
>_________

Was that study real anyway? The emails and blog entries about sure traveled the net as if it were some sort of experiment in viral marketing.

All I ever saw was reference to something that seemed plausible, no link to anything indicating it might be serious research. I'm not disputing that it's not true. I've been editing stuff for the last 15 years nearly, BOY, do I KNOW how this works. :)

If anyone has the lowdown on the real study, let me know.

http://www.inkworkswell.com

"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft. You are one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young each day."

--Ptahhotep, Vizier to Isesi,

Fifth Egyptian Dynasty, 2300 BC