[lbo-talk] Finkelstein Slimed

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 13:30:34 PST 2005

Sent this to the Pres of DePaul, not what whatisname had in mind. Sorry about the letters after the name, necessary here, I think:

To dholtsch at depaul.edu <dholtsch at depaul.edu> Dear President Holtshneider,

At this particular moment, with a right wing academic witch-hunt going on against scholars who challenge received verities, especially about the Middle East, I would like to give you my support for your courage in refusing to bow to pressure against Dr. Norman Finkelstein. Dr. Finkelstein is a brilliant and brave writer whose work has served as a necessary counterpoint to myths encouraged by self-styled supporters of Israeli government policy towards the Palestinians, e.g., that thre were no such people (Joan Peters) and by cynical intellectual thugs who have tried to hijack the terrible crime of the Holocaust to justify aggression and war against Israel's neighbor's (e.g., Daniel Goldhagen). His work has put his career at constant risk, and I applaud your upholding basic standards of academic freedom by providing him with a position and maintaining it despite political attacks that have nothing to do with free debate and reasoned argument and everything to do with censorship and suppression of dissent. It reflects well on you and DePaul.

Sincerely,

Dr. Justin Schwartz Ph.D. (philosophy and political science, University of Michigan, '89), J.D. (Ohio State, '98), ACLU cooperating attorney, member National Lawyers Guild 2227 Lincolnwood Dr. Evanston, IL 60201 jkschw1 at yahoo.com

<http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=13652>