[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Mar 24 14:37:02 PST 2005

>At 01:30 PM 3/24/2005, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>>It seems to me that Marta is right on this matter. What I don't quite
>>understand is the connection to abortion. Many people opposed to abortion
>>seem to agree with the "disabled activists who are fighting to save
>>Terri's life," while many pro-"choice" people seem complacent with the
>>notion of her starving to death. The latter group seem like the Clinton
>>whom Alex Cockburn described a dozen years ago: "He's no friend of the
>>unborn and unwanted, and that's enough to keep the liberals happy." --CGE
>

>Is that what is happening, or are people trying to feed her as a
>human should be fed, as in that article I forwarded. Are loving
>hands who want her to live spooning tasty sustenance into her mouth,
>working with her body to make sure she swallows, talking to her,
>etc? If she "starves to death" it's because her body no longer works
>without a machine.
>

>Kelley

Some of us don't see a feeding tube as a machine- undesirable at all cost. I've had very close friends who have used respirators and been Executive Directors. Harriet Johnson, a disabled lawyer who was interviewed by Aaron Brown last night about the Shiavo case is very close to not being able to swallow anymore. She is still practicing law and writing books, etc. She will still be doing her thing when she needs to be fed in ways other than by mouth. Under your terms she should be starved to death because she may need a feeding tube? Do I understand you correctly?

Marta