[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 17:06:39 PST 2005

> >Is that what is happening, or are people trying to feed her as a
> >human should be fed, as in that article I forwarded. Are loving
> >hands who want her to live spooning tasty sustenance into her mouth,
> >working with her body to make sure she swallows, talking to her,
> >etc? If she "starves to death" it's because her body no longer works
> >without a machine.
> >

> >Kelley
> >___________________________________
>
> Some of us don't see a feeding tube as a machine- undesirable at all
> cost. I've had very close friends who have used respirators and been
> Executive Directors. Harriet Johnson, a disabled lawyer who was
> interviewed by Aaron Brown last night about the Shiavo case is very
> close to not being able to swallow anymore. She is still practicing
> law and writing books, etc. She will still be doing her thing when
> she needs to be fed in ways other than by mouth. Under your terms
> she should be starved to death because she may need a feeding tube?
> Do I understand you correctly?
>
> Marta

You know this isn't what K means. You're doing the same thing to her you did to me. If I think that a person in a vegetative state with no chance of recovery and who has expressed a desire not ot be kept alive that way should be euthanized per their wishes it does not follow that I want everyone in a vegetative state euthanized. Nor everyone with a feeding tube, nor everyone in a wheelchair, nor blah, blah, blah. Some conditiones have no chance for recover and if people in that condition don't want to live just let them fucking die. This viewpoint does not equate with Nazi eugenics and suggesting it does is total BS. If you think everyone should be kept alive through every means possible that's cool with me and probably almost everyone else on this list. If that position isn't arguable without constantly resorting to the logical fallacies you fall back on it must be a pretty damn weak position.

John Thornton