[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Mar 24 18:08:45 PST 2005

> > Marta wrote:
>> Some of us don't see a feeding tube as a machine- undesirable at all
>> cost. I've had very close friends who have used respirators and been
>> Executive Directors. Harriet Johnson, a disabled lawyer who was
>> interviewed by Aaron Brown last night about the Shiavo case is very
>> close to not being able to swallow anymore. She is still practicing
>> law and writing books, etc. She will still be doing her thing when
>> she needs to be fed in ways other than by mouth. Under your terms
>> she should be starved to death because she may need a feeding tube?
>> Do I understand you correctly?
>>
>> Marta
>
>You know this isn't what K means. You're doing the same thing to her
>you did to me. If I think
>that a person in a vegetative state with no chance of recovery and
>who has expressed a desire
>not ot be kept alive that way should be euthanized per their wishes
>it does not follow that I
>want everyone in a vegetative state euthanized. Nor everyone with a
>feeding tube, nor everyone
>in a wheelchair, nor blah, blah, blah.
>Some conditiones have no chance for recover and if people in that
>condition don't want to live
>just let them fucking die. This viewpoint does not equate with Nazi
>eugenics and suggesting it
>does is total BS.
>If you think everyone should be kept alive through every means
>possible that's cool with me
>and probably almost everyone else on this list. If that position
>isn't arguable without constantly
>resorting to the logical fallacies you fall back on it must be a
>pretty damn weak position.
>
>John Thornton

As I told Kelley, I agree with Nat Hentoff that there is no convincing evidence that Terri expressed a desire not to be kept alive. Her parents don't either. Who would you believe - a husband who waited 7 years to say that Terri told him she would want to die and now has a new family in his life - or a mother and father who have no conflict of interest. I'm with the parents, though I think they picked an atrocious spokesperson and I dislike the way the Christain right has taken over this issue. It is a disability issue.

If you want more information:

"Not Dead Yet: Schiavo Case is About Disability Rights"

A Press Release from Not Dead Yet,

http://www.notdeadyet.org/

Disability Advocates Support and Thank Tom Harkin

Schiavo Case is About Disability Rights

It's time for the press to talk to the real experts on the

Schiavo case, the disability rights movement. Not Dead Yet

has led the disability community's opposition to non-

voluntary euthanasia for a decade. Diane Coleman, the

group's founder and president, and Stephen Drake, its

research analyst, are available in Chicago to discuss the

disability angle on the recent legislative and legal

developments in the case.

The "right to life" movement has embraced Terri Schindler-

Schiavo as a cause to prove "sanctity of life." The "right

to die" movement argues that people in guardianship should

have no protection against private family decisions to kill

them. Yet the life-and-death issues surrounding Terri

Schindler-Schiavo are first and foremost disability rights

issues -- issues which affect tens of thousands of people

with disabilities who, like Ms. Schindler-Schiavo, cannot

currently articulate their views and so must rely on others

as substitute decision-makers.

That's why 26 national disability rights organizations have

adopted a position in support of Terri Schiavo's right to

continue to receive food and water. The evidence that Ms.

Schiavo would refuse tube feeding is so unclear and

conflicted that it does not satisfy legal standards. The

lower court in Florida can pretend otherwise, and the

Florida appellate courts can refuse to question the lower

court judge, but it serves society poorly to give guardians

such an unfettered right to kill.

"We applaud Senator Tom Harkin, the long time supporter of

the civil rights of people with disabilities, for his

insight into the disability issues that underlie this high

profile case," said Coleman, "and for his political courage

in working beyond partisanship to uphold our fundamental

rights."

"Bioethicists like Art Caplan have tried to make this part

of the right vs. left culture war," said Drake, "but that's

a shallow and dishonest portrayal of what's going on in our

health care system. While he talks about patient choice on

TV, Caplan has been advocating futility guidelines that

give doctors the authority to overrule family decisions

back in Pennsylvania. His hypocrisy has gone unnoticed in

the media, where he works to silence the voice of the

disability rights community."

CONTACTS:

Diane Coleman & Stephen Drake

(708) 209-1500 ext. 11 & 29