[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 20:27:17 PST 2005

> > > He published my piece on the dirty deeds of Jack Kevorkian - i.e.,
> >> ridding the world of cripples is a good idea to JK.
> >> Marta
> >
> >Show me evidence Kevorkian believes euthanizing cripples against
> >their will is one of his
> >beliefs. I don't claim to know much about him but I'm not going to
> >accept the above statement
> >without proof.
> >
> >John Thornton
>
> see Counterpunch, Vol. 7, #9
>
> Kevorkian's Written Statement to the Court (August, 1990, cited in
> State of Michigan v. Kevorkian, Circuit Court for the county of
> Oakland) said "[T]he voluntary self-elimination of individual and
> mortally diseased or crippled lives taken collectively can only
> enhance the preservation of public health and welfare."
>
> K put "enhance" in italics.
>
> Statement is on p. 11
>
> I'm not sure if it is on the web. I have a copy in my files.
> Marta

You're not showing me where Dr. K wants to euthanize people against their will which is what I asked for. This says "voluntary self-elimination" which means, well, voluntary self-elimination. People can voluntarily take their own life for any fucking reason that suits them. If someone wants to off themselves for a hangnail, while I might find that a rather ignorant decision, if they're mentally capable of making that decision no one should be allowed to stop them. You can try to talk them out of it but you shouldn't be able to forceably stop them. The piece you posted said Dr. K thinks cripples should off themselves not "mortally diseased or cripples" persons should have the right to choose. The distinction isn't subtle and it matters a great deal.

John Thornton