[lbo-talk] Trying To Understand Marta's POV

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 08:49:57 PST 2005

The question is then whether Shiavo's a person. No one her advocates killing disabled people, including the severely retarded -- like my late cousin Karen, who just died last year, and never progressed beyond the mental age of about six-eight months. And no one advocates killing the temporarily unconsconcious or comatose.

But there comes a point at which the cognitive functions of the brain are irretreivably gone and you can keep the body going by life support, but nobody's there if you think the person is whatever thinks. Including thinking at a low level, like a six month old. Most of us think that at the point there is nobody there. As fara s I can see it is almost the universal conensus of the medical community, notably those familiar with her case, that Shiavo is in this situation.

A personal story. A few years ago my late father in law had a coronary event, and as I understand it the drs told my MiL and my wife (there at the time) that they might be able to= keep his body alive, Schiavo like, but his mind was gone. They decided against it. They didn't hook him up and he was dead in minutes. Wsa that anti-disabled bigotry? Murder of a human being? A step down the slippery slop to T-4 (the Nazi program for exterminating the mentally ill and the disabled)? I can tell you it is what my father in law would have wanted. (He had a living will.)

The disabled are right to feel discriminated against for lots of reasons. Disability discrimination should be vigorously opposed. But I think disability rights struggles don't get any advantage from allying themselves with their enemies amongst the "pro-life" forces, on the contrary. The hysteria-mongering aabout extermination is like lefties talking "fascism." it's not our situation or likely to be.

I think this also extends to opposition to voluntary euthansia. Death with dignity is going to be increasingly an issue in an increasingly long-lived and geriatric society, and I think people should have the option open to them whether or not they arrive at an irrecoverable vegetative state. I saw my dad die of liver and pancreatic cancer. It wasn't pretty. Before I went through myself, I'd want an overdose or morphine. What my dad thought might or might not have thought he was able to suffer should be (and was) of course up to him -- he never raised the issue and neither did we. I would, though.

Rather than fighting to require the expenduture of public monies on maintaining the bodily functions of ex-persons in vegetative states or preventing conscious but terminally ill people from ending their own lives on their own terms rarther than the terms of ravaging diseases, Disability advocates would do better trying to get the ADA extended and state anti-discrimination laws expanded and enforced. These policies will be opposed by the allies of convenience among the loony Christian right that some disability activists have made in the Schiavo debate, who will be stronger thereby.