[lbo-talk] Trying To Understand Marta's POV

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Mar 25 11:49:32 PST 2005

>The disabled are right to feel discriminated against
>for lots of reasons. Disability discrimination should
>be vigorously opposed. But I think disability rights
>struggles don't get any advantage from allying
>themselves with their enemies amongst the "pro-life"
>forces, on the contrary. The hysteria-mongering aabout
>extermination is like lefties talking "fascism." it's
>not our situation or likely to be.

I don't know that disability spokespersons have allied themselves with the right. In fact we are trying hard to destroy that perception - see Harriet McBrides article in the Washington Post that I have already posted. We cannot control what "the pro-life" do but they often use disability issues for their own purposes. The only exception to this is Joni Erikson Tada, a quadriplic who has her own ministry. I know of no others.

Read Wesley Smith's book "Forced Exit." Wesley is a lawyer and used to work with Ralph Nader.

A whole other world exists that most people have no knowledge about. Marta