[lbo-talk] Trying To Understand Marta's POV

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 25 08:52:12 PST 2005

Chris Doss wrote:

>--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>From that POV, Schiavo is not an irreparably
>damaged
>shell of a once fully alive human being, but a
>disabled person in need
>of
>protection from predatory, uncaring or
>misunderstanding non-disabled
>people.
>--
>
>Sorry, but a person with no cerebral cortex is not
>disabled. He/she is dead.

This thing has been litigated to death. By Henninger's count in the WSJ, there have been 21 court decisions, all of them against prolonging Schaivo's life. The Florida courts' finding of fact that Terri's wish was not to be kept alive by machinery hasn't been successfully challenged. I don't understand how people so far from the issue can speak with such certainty about how she's really alive.

Doug