[lbo-talk] Trying To Understand Marta's POV

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 25 11:43:15 PST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> This thing has been litigated to death. By Henninger's count in the WSJ,
> there have been 21 court decisions, all of them against prolonging Schaivo's
> life. The Florida courts' finding of fact that Terri's wish was not to be
> kept alive by machinery hasn't been successfully challenged. I don't
> understand how people so far from the issue can speak with such certainty
> about how she's really alive.
>
> Doug

Same way people deny global warming, evolution, and the existence of racism in the U. S.: rely on arguments based on authority, anecdote, and common sense. Screw science!

It's a strange paradox to me that the scientific thinking that made possible and sustains industrial society is so uncommon among the people who benefit from the fruits of that scientific thinking and activity--

Miles