[lbo-talk] Shaivo finale on my part (for real)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Mar 25 10:07:01 PST 2005

>> >Show me evidence Kevorkian believes euthanizing cripples against
>> >their will is one of his
>> >beliefs. I don't claim to know much about him but I'm not going to
>> >accept the above statement
>> >without proof.
>> >
>> >John Thornton
>>
>> see Counterpunch, Vol. 7, #9
>>
>> Kevorkian's Written Statement to the Court (August, 1990, cited in
>> State of Michigan v. Kevorkian, Circuit Court for the county of
>> Oakland) said "[T]he voluntary self-elimination of individual and
> > mortally diseased or crippled lives taken collectively can only
> > enhance the preservation of public health and welfare."
>>
>> K put "enhance" in italics.
>>
>> Statement is on p. 11
>>
>> I'm not sure if it is on the web. I have a copy in my files.
>> Marta
>
>You're not showing me where Dr. K wants to euthanize people against
>their will which is what I
>asked for. This says "voluntary self-elimination" which means, well,
>voluntary self-elimination.
>People can voluntarily take their own life for any fucking reason
>that suits them. If someone
>wants to off themselves for a hangnail, while I might find that a
>rather ignorant decision, if
>they're mentally capable of making that decision no one should be
>allowed to stop them. You
>can try to talk them out of it but you shouldn't be able to
>forceably stop them. The piece you
>posted said Dr. K thinks cripples should off themselves not
>"mortally diseased or cripples"
>persons should have the right to choose. The distinction isn't
>subtle and it matters a great
>deal.
>
>John Thornton

I never said involuntary if you read my original post. I said that he thinks "ridding the world of cripples is a good idea." He does say this. He believes that the world would be better off without these crippled people, that it is for for the social good, killing them "can only enhance the preservation of public health and welfare."

I look at this in terms of human and civil rights. JK singles out disabled people for euthansia and leaves out able-bodied ones. There is stigma towards disability in his statement. People try to talk able bodied people out of killing themselves, they are sent off for psychological treatment for depression but when a disabled person expresses a desire to die they are all there to commit the act in a New York second. When people start talking about offing the average Joe on the street then there may be equality. Now there is not.

K had other agendas as well. Kevorkian had plans to set up death centers (it is in his book) to kill disabled people. He called it medicide. He was also looking at harvesting organs. One of his victims, I believe his name was Matt Johnson, was found butchered, dumped at the door of a hospital with his kidneys missing. I"m not going to look up anything else. You can research this yourself.

Yea, K is a great guy. You can have him. A. Cockburn saw this too. I salute him.

Marta --