[lbo-talk] Fwd: Biodiesel

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 25 17:39:55 PST 2005

Is your argument that solutions must be an "all-or-nothing" thing? That transitioning can't happen and that all cars and trucks must disappear in one day and be replaced with super efficient electric mass transit the next? How likely is that to happen? And what fuels the industry to build it all?

Biodiesel can have a real place in our future. I am not saying it is *the* solution, but it is one solution, and an excellent one because it is easy to transition to. Many vehicles, industrial equipment, heating oil systems can all use it now with little or no retrofit cost. It's also better environmentally than fossil fuel and can reduce our dependency on foreign sources.

I see no need to concern ourselves with trying to fuel 200 million cars. As fuel prices rise, fewer people will be able to afford to drive cars. As the tractors that might grow food crops or biodiesel (which can also be made from animal sources and other wastes) become more expensive to run on fuels, fossil fuel and biodiesel will cost more. Shipping costs will rise. Everything will cost more. Car use will be reduced because of simple affordibility. We won't need to supply at the volumes we currently supply.

And that's only if our nation's imperialism, terrorist attack, or deficit spending doesn't force this nation into bankruptcy. Then it won't be all-or-nothing, just nothing.

What is it you expect can happen? Haven't we seen that all new attempts at design are sabotaged by industry or politicians? If nothing else, biodiesel has the advantage of being harder to sabotage. For one, I can make the stuff in my own back yard with a 55 gallon drum, a Minn-Kota electric outboard engine, and a supply of used fast-food fryer oil.

--tully