[lbo-talk] Terri Schiavo and Disability Rights

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 12:54:09 PST 2005

That is correct. Legislators introduce special bills dealing with single individuals all the time.

The old Bill of Attainder "attainted" a "traitor" or person in disfavor with the King, his property (often that was big bucks, or pounds) and title were forfeit to the crown and his head was chopped off.

The framers wanted to make sure Congress couldn't do this to them.

Laws favoring specific individuals by name, e.g., with immigration status, are not uncommon. I think they are called "special" bills, that is, that is how they are referred to.

jks

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/lit/schiavo/index.html