[lbo-talk] voluntary simplicity as secularized calvinism (or, how to achieve a state of grace by buying locally)

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 27 19:36:24 PST 2005

> > A close reading of Tully's posts would suggest that "he" is a she. And a more
> > careful reading of what she wrote would also suggest nothing particularly
> > silly or chucklefuckish about her politics or ideas. In fact, she has been
> > remarkably respectful given the gratuitous abuse that has been directed at
> > her. Don't folks on the "left" have enough enemies without making new ones
> > out of everyone that doesn't buy 100% what you happen to be thinking at this
> > particular moment.
>
> --Close reading? Even casual reading of Tully's recent posts makes it
> clear that she's a she! It's interesting to me that everybody keeps
> referring to Tully as a he. --A person engaging in political debate?
> Gotta be a man. (Gender politics in action--)
>
> That said, I have to side with C. and Kel on the issue that Tully
> brings up: only in a hyperconsumer culture like the U. S. would a
> person conflate individual purchasing decisions and political activity.
>
> Miles

Check the sent times on the emails. All the references to "he" were sent before the first post where Tully mentions her gender. I, like others, defaulted to "he" in my original e-mail but because I met a man named Tully and haven't heard of a woman with this name it seemed obvious. The film Tully is also about a male so maybe others had that in mind when they responded or perhaps they just assumed the "he" in my post was correct. Since I also misunderstood Tullys original question as well I pretty much got almost everything in my first post in this thread wrong. One more reason to stay out of it.

John Thornton