[lbo-talk] voluntary simplicity as secularized calvinism (or, how to achieve a state of grace by buying locally)

Autoplectic autoplectic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:45:02 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 19:10:53 -0800 (PST), Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> That said, I have to side with C. and Kel on the issue that Tully
> brings up: only in a hyperconsumer culture like the U. S. would a
> person conflate individual purchasing decisions and political activity.
>
> Miles

Fair enough, but what about VS behavior leading to larger aggregates and tipping points in the composition of effective demand leading to changes in composition of future investment and output. I think Tully is hitting on this old piece of folk economics/folk Keynesianism, which in a sense goes back to J.S. Mill, iirc............If large numbers of people do adopt VS changes in output will occur, no?

Ian