[lbo-talk] voluntary simplicity as secularized calvinism (or, how to achieve a state of grace by buying locally)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 28 08:29:11 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005, Autoplectic wrote:

> what about VS behavior leading to larger aggregates
> and tipping points in the composition of effective demand leading to
> changes in composition of future investment and output. I think Tully
> is hitting on this old piece of folk economics/folk Keynesianism,
> which in a sense goes back to J.S. Mill, iirc............If large
> numbers of people do adopt VS changes in output will occur, no?
>

> Ian

Sure, individual and collective purchasing decisions will affect output, eventually. However, the crucial economic and political issue is not just what is being produced; it is the class relations that follow from our mode of production. (Put perhaps too simply, whether people make gas guzzling SUVs or Toyota hybrids, they're generating surplus value for the capitalist class.)

--What we need to change are the social relations of production, not just the widgets that get produced!

Miles