[lbo-talk] voluntary simplicity as secularized calvinism (or, the Great Cat Massacre of the Rue Saint-Severin?)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Mar 27 21:22:53 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005, tully wrote:

> On Sunday 27 March 2005 11:34 pm, Carrol Cox wrote:
>> I read "working class" in her posts as being a collective noun,
>> merely a shorthand way of grouping people. And "capitalist" seemed
>> to be used similarly. Hence I didn't see her as referring to any
>> kind of relationship at all, symbiotic or otherwise. We'll see what
>> she has to say on that.
>
> Unfortunately, I have to admit to not understanding half of this talk
> that I'm reading as I have not studies Marx, Calvin, or the others
> that are being mentioned. Too many of the categories and labels used
> are unfamiliar to me. So I'm not sure what to say here. I tried to
> start a description of how I categorize such things, but it quickly
> got muddled and I had to delete it.
>
> So I'm unsure of how to approach this difficulty.
>
> --tully

Most of the people who post to LBO have read Marx, and many are enthusiastic enough about his work to call themselves Marxists ("liberals" are right-wingers around here!). If you want to participate in the discussion in a meaningful way, you need to understand Marx. The Communist Manifesto is a good place to start!

Miles