[lbo-talk] Re: worker freedom of choice

Maria Gilmore mgilmore at highstream.net
Mon Mar 28 05:26:04 PST 2005

As I see it, American society has huge "dependency" issues, unlike other rich capitalist countries in Europe. I think that's one very big reason we don't have a guaranteed income, or national health care. We USers are throughly indoctrinated to believe that to be in any way dependent on others is the ultimate horror. Europeans in general don't seem to feel that way, rather, they accept that dependency is a normal part of life...we are dependent when we are very young and again very old, or infirm, and anyway, we are all interdependent thruout our lives. How can you be in favor of a guaranteed income yet make not being "dependent" on others a point of great pride? What is so intrinsically admirable about hyper-individualism?

Maria

PS the Schaivo controversy has, of course, a great deal to do with these issues also.