[lbo-talk] Re: worker freedom of choice

tully tully at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 27 20:28:18 PST 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 10:18 pm, Bill Bartlett wrote:
>Not quite "anything". Never met anyone from the right who wasn't
>perfectly OK with economic force, as in "work for the boss, or
>starve." In fact the very notion that work might be voluntary for
>anyone but the rich is guaranteed to send them into a paroxysm of
>rage.

Hadn't thought of it that way before. Interesting. I'd like to see a guaranteed income provided for every citizen, say about $5K a year per adult and $1K per child for the first 2, that could be obtained by a simple shift of the accounting book numbers for wage slaves and business owners, where their salary would be $5 -$7K less a year and the other $5-7K given to them "by the gov't." Taxmoney would then only have to account for those not employed and I think its the least we deserve of the pie for being the backbone of productivity in the nation. We also deserve low cost or free healthcare like is provided by every other developed nation.

A guaranteed income would encourage people to start sharing homes and pooling their money which could reduce consumption significantly with less individual homes and household appliances, etc., that would instead be shared more. Work could then truly become voluntary without undue hardship on the collective or resentment because all would be eligible and no one would need to be "sponging." It is possible to live on $5000 if life is carefully arranged. Most people probably wouldn't be satisfied with that much simplicity, and they could work if they wanted more. Therefore I doubt it would cause a shutdown of the economy, though I'd guess it would be very likely to reduce it significantly, which I see as a grand thing and possibly the best reason for it.

>So their "hatred of anything forced" is quite selective. Hatred of
>anything forced on them, maybe. Hatred of the working class, more
>likely.

Most of the conservatives I've discussed things with were wage-slaves themselves, some small business owners, a few larger business owners. Apparently not many CEOs frequent such forums, though Ted Nugent's forum was particularly interesting to me because Ted did indeed frequent there.

I don't think the right hates the working class. Too many of them are working class. What they hate are those who they feel expect handouts and I could sympathize there, though I believe that in too many cases, people have the odds against them and thru no fault of their own are forced into needing help. Most of those I talked to had no problem with needing temporary help, as several of them had also availed themselves of it, but there was great pride in not being dependent on anyone and even those who were on aid were trying hard to get off it with encouragement and support from others. I had to admire that.

--tully