[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 28 05:42:03 PST 2005

Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Gee, Doug that sounds a tad harsh.

Good.

>Have you looked at David Harvey's New Imperialism? I am about a
>hundred pages into it.
>
>If you've read it, any comments?

It's been a while, but while I always like reading Harvey, my two probs with it are: 1) he exaggerates the novelty of "accumulation by dispossession" (which is a very catchy phrase, I'll admit), and 2) he never makes the connection between the alleged decline in U.S. economic power and the counter-assertion of military power as a substitute (it's simply asserted, never proved - which isn't surprising, because I think he'd have a hard time proving it).

Doug