[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Mar 28 06:23:29 PST 2005

At 8:42 AM -0500 28/3/05, Doug Henwood wrote:

>It's been a while, but while I always like reading Harvey, my two
>probs with it are: 1) he exaggerates the novelty of "accumulation by
>dispossession" (which is a very catchy phrase, I'll admit), and 2)
>he never makes the connection between the alleged decline in U.S.
>economic power and the counter-assertion of military power as a
>substitute (it's simply asserted, never proved - which isn't
>surprising, because I think he'd have a hard time proving it).

Ancient Rome fell into decline as a result of its local industries being unable to compete with imports. Its economic power was effectively crippled by the success of its military power, which enslaved vast other peoples and caused great suffering on the majority of Romans. So as I understand it, decline in economic power and overwhelming military power, go hand in hand.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas