[lbo-talk] Slavoj's nuptials

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 12:44:51 PST 2005

Joanna:

Very disappointing.

========================

Well yes but then again, on the other hand...wait, I can't think of another hand so...yes.

And this marriage offers us so many cliched ways to be disappointed. We can reach into our back pocket and pull out time worn critiques of (much) older men with younger women ('why', we ask, 'didn't he choose a woman his own age?' is Analia a trophy wife?). And then there's the target rich matter of Analia being an underwear model: does this mean he married a woman who's not his intellectual peer so he won't be challenged? Of course, we direct our fire against him -- as if she's a helpless kidnapping victim -- because it's always the man who's responsible for whatever outrageousness has occurred. Or so we seem to believe.

I'm sure all this and so much more will be tossed Zizek's way -- like the green tinted poo disgruntled apes, weary of even designer zoo captivity, sometimes hurl at the bars of their cages -- in coming days.

And maybe it'll all be accurate and deserved; I'm not there. I don't know (though it does look bad yes?).

Pushing all that off the table the thing that gets me is the wedding photo of the couple-- the bride and groom, side by side. Zizek looks like he needs to sit down and have a smoke in some poorly lit cafe where smoking is not only permitted, but required (along with sallow skin). Analia looks as luminously new as the first spring. Did I mention kidnapping? Yes, that's it; it looks like a kidnapping.

But to hell with my cluck clucking...good luck to all humans everywhere in our endless war against loneliness. Zizek and Analia included.

.d.