[lbo-talk] Slavoj's nuptials

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 28 13:17:57 PST 2005

Doug Henwood:

> and while few people are Slavoj's intellectual peer

Doug, surely you jest. He can be amusing if you don't take him seriously, but not much else.

My opinion of him is not strong one way or the other, but I will say that my significant other -- of whom Zizek is a former countryman -- dislikes him intensely, particularly after having read some insufferable bullshit from him where he said that affirmative action was an insult to its beneficiaries, or something stupid like that. Seeing as Zizek -- as a Slovene -- benefited immensely from the protections afforded national minorities in the former Yugoslavia, his uninformed pontificating (indeed, Dinesh D'Souza-style cliche) on the subject is difficult to take.

As for those of you who express "disappointment" -- come on now. This is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from him.