[lbo-talk] Slavoj's nuptials

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 28 13:58:07 PST 2005

> Doug Henwood:
>
> > and while few people are Slavoj's intellectual peer
>
> Doug, surely you jest. He can be amusing if you don't take him seriously,
> but not much else.
>
> My opinion of him is not strong one way or the other, but I will say that my
> significant other -- of whom Zizek is a former countryman -- dislikes him
> intensely, particularly after having read some insufferable bullshit from
> him where he said that affirmative action was an insult to its
> beneficiaries, or something stupid like that. Seeing as Zizek -- as a
> Slovene -- benefited immensely from the protections afforded national
> minorities in the former Yugoslavia, his uninformed pontificating (indeed,
> Dinesh D'Souza-style cliche) on the subject is difficult to take.
>
> As for those of you who express "disappointment" -- come on now. This is
> exactly the kind of thing you'd expect from him.

> John Lacny
> http://www.johnlacny.com

You can dislike and strongly disagree him while still acknowledging he is an incredibly intelligent and gifted person. I think he's full of shit quite often but I wouldn't want to get into a verbal argument with the man. It makes me think back to a dinner conversation I had with Ron Walsworth, Chris Smallwood and Tina Pavlin. They are intelligent beyond what most people can imagine and dead wrong about a great many things. How many intellectuals supported the Vitnam war when millions of "common" people knew it was wrong? I'm certainly not disappointed concerning his marriage. I never had any expectation from him in that area so I couldn't be disappointed. If they're both happy being together fuck what anyone else thinks.

John Thornton