[lbo-talk] obesity niche-marketing

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 29 11:33:44 PST 2005

On 29 Mar 2005 at 12:59, snitsnat wrote:

> At 12:31 PM 3/29/2005, Michael Dawson wrote:
> >And, of course, men can't cook, so healthy food seems pretty awful. To
> >reverse all this, I think, will take a very large social transformation.
>

> if you ate a similar caloric intake for two more meals, it's only too many
> calories if it's too many for you.
>
> as a person with genetic heart disease, I can tell you that there's nothing
> about that breakfast that would hurt me -- not in the way you think it
> does. The biggest problem would be the eggs, but not because of the
> cholesterol.
>
> Tell me, what's the ratio of healthy fat to bad fat in a slice of bacon?
>
> Kelley

Depends on who you ask. Not all doctors have the same things to say about fats. Animal fats, although much maligned, are high in stearic acid which raises HDL and lowers LDL levels. It is also high in CLA and Omega-3 while being low in Omega-6 which is beginning to be linked to certain types of cancers. I eat bacon occasionally and use real butter and my LDL is below 100 while my HDL was nearly 60 IIRC. I'm pretty down on fast food though because it is so nutritionally deficient not necessarily because it is high in salt and fat. It also tastes like shit but peoples tastes are primarily a learned behaviour so I doubt it tastes bad to them. For people who have 30 minutes for lunch and get in trouble with the boss-man if they go two minutes over their alloted time it is a rational choice much of the time. I wish fast food places would simply go away but without being replaced by something else healthier and no costlier or more time consuming that alone would probably make things worse. The root of the problem with fast food isn't the food itself as much as the constraints on peoples time and transportation in my opinion.

John Thornton