[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue Mar 29 16:06:01 PST 2005

> No need to coerce Level Two (Canada, Western Europe, Japan, Australia):
> they get a pretty good deal. High standard of living, low military bills.
> Of course they can't run their own foreign policies, but that's a small
> price to pay. It is funny to sit in Toronto, a prosperous and comfortable
> city, and hear Leo Panitch talk about Canada's subordinate role. Canadian
> oppression is not visible to the naked American eye; maybe there are some
> subtleties that Canadians can see that I miss.
>
> Doug

What is funny? It is both true that the Canadian state and capital are subordinate to the US state and Capital in many respects and that Canada benefits from this subordination. This has been Leo's observation for the last 25 years. It also underpins, partially, his theory of American Imperialism. It works precisely because it creates the potential for positive sum outcomes for significant sections of capital and workers in advanced capitalist countries.

In a patriarchal society marriage offers many benefits to women who "choose" to get married. But I don't find it funny when the wife of wealthy husband complains of her subordination. Although I would find it funny if I thought that she should be grateful for her subordination given she could be married to a poor husband.

Nor do I find it funny when workers at Wal-Mart complain of the relative shitty working conditions vis-a-vis Costco workers. Even though I could argue they ought to be grateful they are not unemployed.

And just because Costco workers are relatively rich in virtue of their subordination to Costco and not Wal-Mart it does not make their complaints funny.

So explain to me why you find Canadian subordination to the US so funny-- is it because we are better off then Porto-Rico?

Travis