[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 30 07:21:52 PST 2005

T Fast wrote:

>So explain to me why you find Canadian subordination to the US so
>funny-- is it because we are better off then Porto-Rico?

Because, to paraphrase Sonic Youth, it's hard to understand the exact dimensions of Canadian hell. There seems to be less poverty, less insecurity, less inequality, less militarization, less incarceration, and more political freedom than down here in the imperial heartland. Ditto the rest of the second-tier imperialist countries.

You were annoyed that I found Bob Brenner's question - "Just what do you Canadian nationalists hope to accomplish with your nationalism?" - funny and apt. I never did hear an answer - just a wisecrack about how I should shave my head and become a spokesman for the right.

Doug