[lbo-talk] New Imperialism?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 30 07:52:10 PST 2005

Doug:
> Because, to paraphrase Sonic Youth, it's hard to understand the exact
> dimensions of Canadian hell. There seems to be less poverty, less
> insecurity, less inequality, less militarization, less incarceration,
> and more political freedom than down here in the imperial heartland.
> Ditto the rest of the second-tier imperialist countries.

Doug, sometimes you surprise me. The above seems to imply that any country that lifts itself above poverty and inequality does so as a part of a larger imperial project, and by implication, on the backs of "non-imperialist" countries (whatever they are, I presume these are those countries that have neither means nor opportunity to pursue any imperial projects worth attention). By implication, the only "ethical" (i.e. outside the imperial project) way is abject poverty cum foreign occupation.

This smacks of liberal guilt tripping and seems to be in direct contradiction to everything else you wrote here or in print.

Wojtek