[lbo-talk] Disability bill to provide for federal court review

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 29 22:39:55 PST 2005

At 12:36 AM 3/30/2005, Leigh Meyers wrote:

>Mark my words: Terri Schiavo's face will replace Jesus on those slices
>of french toast auctioned on ebay, and in the frost on the windows of
>churches all over America...

They are already working on it! The Schindler's authorized the rental of a fundraising mail list. She'll be memorialized in perpetual spam fundraising. I wonder how long before we get Nigerian spam scams out of it? Or maybe she'll be memorialized at Snopes.com like Craig Shergold? I can see it now:

From: Kristy Kreme <kristy at kreme.us> Subject: God reads knee-mail

Dear Mistress,

I am Kristy Kreme, managetment of exchange and billing, Remittance Department of Rapture Trust where we'll get you straight with Jaysus and the bottom line!

This most gracious letter is intended to let your goodness know that we most certainly have found $44,700,000.00 in abandoned money....

Poking around, wondering if there was Christian spam and Christian Banking, (why did I doubt it?), I thought this convo was interesting. It's among Christian, with several of them talking about how it's through personal relationships that they'll be able to reach the unbelievers. http://www.worldmagblog.com/cgi-bin/mt-comments.cgi?entry_id=10868

Google on "christian investing". Yikes! Doug, ever heard of this newsletter? http://www.soundmindinvesting.com/index.php

March 29, 2005 List of Schiavo Donors Will Be Sold by Direct-Marketing Firm By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and JOHN SCHWARTZ

WASHINGTON, March 28 - The parents of Terri Schiavo have authorized a conservative direct-mailing firm to sell a list of their financial supporters, making it likely that thousands of strangers moved by her plight will receive a steady stream of solicitations from anti-abortion and conservative groups.

"These compassionate pro-lifers donated toward Bob Schindler's legal battle to keep Terri's estranged husband from removing the feeding tube from Terri," says a description of the list on the Web site of the firm, Response Unlimited, which is asking $150 a month for 6,000 names and $500 a month for 4,000 e-mail addresses of people who responded last month to an e-mail plea from Ms. Schiavo's father. "These individuals are passionate about the way they value human life, adamantly oppose euthanasia and are pro-life in every sense of the word!"

Privacy experts said the sale of the list was legal and even predictable, if ghoulish.

"I think it's amusing," said Robert Gellman, a privacy and information policy consultant. "I think it's absolutely classic America. Everything is for sale in America, every type of personal information." <...> http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/03/29/news/list.html

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling