[lbo-talk] Disability bill to provide for federal court review

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:36:32 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: Marta Russell To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 5:03 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Disability bill to provide for federal court review

You know what it means -- by money, by family pressure, by doctors who are biased about quality of life that disabled people supposedly do not have, by cuts to Medicaid, etc. The fact that you could ask the question shows how little you understand about social hierarchy and power relations and where disabled people fit on the scale.

You mean like the homeless disabled person that wants to "opts out" because they are living in a plastic bag wrapped wheelchair in the rain and don't eat for the last week of the month because there's too much month at the end of the money? That kind of quality of life? Those circustances of coercion?

Barney Franks and Tom Harkin are interested?

Bullshit.

No no no... You, and Barney, and Tom, are too busy trying to keep someone who is techincally dead alive, to be able to concentrate on making sensible laws fit for a society of the living.

Barney and Tom have ulterior political motives...

What are yours?

I asked earlier... Why SPECIFICALLY Terri Schiavo? You avoided the question.

Perhaps it's because Terri Schiavo is the most advantageous political football to promote your interests at the moment, but it sounds too callous, so you evade the question?

Terri Schiavo isn't disabled... You haven't been watching the court decisions.

Technically, she's deceased.

As far as where the "living and disabled" fit on the scale(assuming you mean political clout), here's the retiree lobby... How far behind do you suppose the disabilty rights groups war chest funding is when all of the mainstream organizations are included?

"AARP's 35 million membership base is 10 times the size of the National Rifle Association's, and its $800 million budget is five times that of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the country's biggest business association.

In number of members, AARP is surpassed only by the Roman Catholic Church." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11076-2005Mar29.html

The mainstream funding and political clout are there for the disabled as well, and it's being squandered on a pointless and dangerous excersize in overriding the constitution.

>Spiritually sick people making sick laws
>to satisfy a spiritually sick culture.
>
>Leigh

Attitude. So you are the know it all, heh? Marta --

No, I don't know everything, but I know social dis-ease and spiritual dysfunction when I see it.

Mark my words: Terri Schiavo's face will replace Jesus on those slices of french toast auctioned on ebay, and in the frost on the windows of churches all over America...

Oh BTW I DO understand the meaning of "tricameral" political system.

Which your fasc... I mean, friends are trying desperately to circumvent.

But it's not for Terri Schiavo's sake.