Language, was Re: [lbo-talk] stats (beheadings)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 30 10:26:56 PST 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>The U.S. in its 55 year war on the Mideast has finally succeeded in
>unleashing a pack of fucking religious fanatics and murderers on the
>world, and every day that the u.s. stays in the Mideast increases the
>power and numbers of thos fucking thugs. We've got to push the u.s. out
>to leave room for the mass of mideast people to handle these thugs. They
>may or may not be able to do so in this generation, but those thugs will
>always remain dominant while the u.s. remains there.
>
>No apologies needed for murderous fanatics, and it doesn't obscure the
>basic politics.

I agree with you about the causes - I was just reading a piece in the FT this morning about how Egyptian government encouraged the Muslim Brotherhood as an antidote to the secular left - but as my interlocutor put it, only the "harder" elements of the American left are able to put barehanded beheadings out of mind.

Doug