[lbo-talk] Wolfowitz wins European backing

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 15:51:12 PST 2005

Wolfowitz wins European backing

Paul Wolfowitz looks set to be confirmed as the new head of the World Bank in New York on Thursday, after winning Europe's backing. The US deputy defence secretary's nomination stirred controversy, given his key role in the Iraq war and lack of development experience.

But after a meeting on Wednesday in Brussels, European leaders said they expected approval of his nomination. Europe is hoping to secure one of the two vacant vice-presidential posts. Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker repeatedly referred to Mr Wolfowitz as "the incoming president of the World Bank" after the meeting he had arranged to address concerns.

'Unifying mission'

The US traditionally nominates the head of the World Bank, while Europe controls the top job at the International Monetary Fund.

But the proposal of Mr Wolfowitz by the White House was seen in some quarters as an attempt to bend a multilateral body to US demands. It came soon after questions were raised by the nomination of veteran unilateralist John Bolton as US ambassador to the UN.

After Wednesday's talks, Mr Wolfowitz seemed at pains to reassure doubters that the Bank's development agenda would remain paramount under his management. "I understand that I'm to put it mildly a controversial figure," he said. "But I hope as people get to know me that they will understand that I really do believe deeply in the mission of the Bank.

"It's a... unifying mission, and frankly that's going to be fun."

He promised to seek a "truly multinational" management team - but would not give Europe an unequivocal promise on the deputy's post. The top team "needs to reflect the fact that the European countries as a group are the largest single donors to the Bank", he said. "But it also needs to reflect the full diversity of donors and recipients," he added.

"There's some impressive people in the developing world, and I'm going to need all the help I can get."

Unnamed Bank staff and a range of non-governmental organisations were among those criticising the nomination of Mr Wolfowitz.

Both groups were mentioned by Mr Wolfowitz, who described his future staff as "an extraordinary group of international professionals" and promised to continue "reaching out and paying attention to the views of non-governmental organisations".

[...]

full at --

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4393025.stm >

.d.