[lbo-talk] FBI headaches

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Mar 30 22:09:03 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
>> What I don't get is why a site like that saves logs at all. If they
>> didn't (it's trivial to tell Apache not to log anything), there'd be no
>> subpoena, right?

We don't save logs. Dave is very careful about making sure that logs get purged on a regular basis. He's also one of the best server admins around. Thanks to him, we've never had to worry about hackers.

The problem here is that weblog and forum software usually stores IP addresses in a database. If you post something, your IP address is recorded. This is useful for us geeks, but evidently many people don't understand that their IPs are stored. This software needs to be changed.

Of course, the Feds can also trace IPs without knocking on the door of some website. Which is why it is important to never post something stupid that could get you into serious legal trouble.

Chuck