[lbo-talk] FBI headaches

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Mar 30 21:27:31 PST 2005

tully wrote:

> The Patriot Act has provided all the necessary tools and has spawned a
> new McCarthyism. Activists have been hassled for a long time now,
> with a few questionable deaths and its only getting worse. Churchill
> case in point.

As somebody who has the FBI breathing down his neck this week, let me say something about paranoia. I think I have the street cred to say this right now.

People on the left need to get over their fantasies about government snooping, surveillance, and dirty tricks. Yes, some of us activists are being hassled by The Man. COINTELPRO was a nasty dirty tricks campaign that killed people. But MOST OF YOU will never feel the heat. You self-censor yourselves because you have this irrational fear that the FBI will be knocking on your door if you say the "R' word.

I just got back today from a week vacation in San Francisco. Believe me, this FBI stuff hasn't been on my mind, nor have I lost any sleep over it. The actual facts of what the FBI is doing is pretty boring when it comes to one of the subpoenas. If this is the "new" FBI at work, then let me tell you, activists have nothing to worry about.

Now, more than ever, FBI stands for "Famous But Incompetent."

Chuck