[lbo-talk] FBI headaches

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Mar 31 07:02:51 PST 2005

Doug:
> Uh, no. The list archives are useful public information, averaging
> almost 7500 hits a day. They often score quite high in google
> searches. If you're worried about getting in trouble with your boss
> or a relative, use an address that disguises your identity.

Doug, if I had to go to such lengths to protect myself from persecution, it would be a sure sign that I need to take more radical measures, such as buying a one way ticket to Europe or Canada. I may be wrong, but I do not think we are there yet, the Ward Churchill case notwithstanding.

I think that Mr. Churchill is more of the cannon fodder in the current Kulturkampf rather than the first casualty of neo-Maccarthyism. Such culture wars have been going on for a while in Eastern Europe, and were nicely summarized in a cartoon in one of the Polish newspapers. In the first picture, two men are sitting at a table in a TV studio, engaged in a friendly small talk suggesting that they know each other well. In the second picture, a voice from a speaker says 'gentlemen, you are on the air.' In the third picture, one of the men grabs the other by his throat yelling "you communist swine!"

Wojtek