[lbo-talk] Some Change... Some Don't

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:47:58 PST 2005

Today's Travus T. Hipp: www.leighm.net

News: War Zone News: Two Marines One Army Killed... Attacks on Iraqi "Army" and Police Continue

Intelligence Commission Report Overview: Is Part Two NOT to Follow?

College Student Rendition Case - Abu Ali Ordered to Medical Exam in re Torture Claim,

Bishkek Kyrgyzstan: U.S. OK With US... GANCI AIR BASE Not Threatened...

Largest AFB in Central Asia Will Continue to Supply Afghan/Iraqi Spook OPs

A backrounder on GANCI AIR BASE http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L30610913.htm

Terri Schiavo Passes More

Commentary: Terri Schiavo's Passing: Modern Journalism - A Revelation, and the New Journalistic "Standard" More... Ralph Stanley Sings the Blues

-0-

Some things change:

Navy Ship Makes Port Call In Vietnam Associated Press March 29, 2005 http://www.military.com/Content/Printer_Friendly_Version/1,11491,,00.html?str_filename=FL%5Fvietnam%5F032905&passfile=FL%5Fvietnam%5F032905&page_url=%2FNewsContent%2F0%2C13319%2CFL%5Fvietnam%5F032905%2C00%2Ehtml

HO CHI MINH CITY, Vietnam - American sailors dressed in white lined the upper and lower decks of the USS Gary warship on Tuesday as the frigate docked in Vietnam's Saigon Port, one month before the country celebrates the 30th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War.

The ship became the third U.S. Navy vessel in as many years to make a port call in the communist country since the Vietnam War ended on April 30, 1975. Officials on both sides said the latest visit symbolized warming military relations between the former foes.

"I think the most important thing for both of our nations and peoples to do is to continue to look forward, not backward," said U.S. Ambassador Michael Marine. "We cannot forget our past, but we certainly don't want to relive it. We have a much brighter future."

The ship visit also marks the 10th anniversary of the normalization of diplomatic relations between the two countries. The two sides signed a landmark bilateral trade agreement in 2001 and business has exploded in recent years.

However, the two countries have only begun working on the more sensitive area of military cooperation.

As the United States and Vietnam find common ground on issues of counterterrorism and regional stability, future military ties will likely include more ship visits and high-level exchanges such as Vietnamese Defense Minister Pham Van Tra's historic trip to Washington in 2003. <...>

And then some things remain the same...

Military Amputees Find Camaraderie Associated Press March 29, 2005 http://www.military.com/Content/Printer_Friendly_Version/1,11491,,00.html?str_filename=FL%5Famputee%5F032905&passfile=FL%5Famputee%5F032905&page_url=%2FNewsContent%2F0%2C13319%2CFL%5Famputee%5F032905%2C00%2Ehtml

FORT SAM HOUSTON, Texas - Cpl. Isaiah Ramirez endured the rigors of Marine Corps basic training and two tours of high-risk duty in Iraq.

But since his lower right leg was shot off in January, Ramirez says he'll be happy just to walk again. Ramirez, 21, took his first steps toward that goal this month at Brooke Army Medical Center, where two dozen amputees wounded in the Iraq war have become a tightly knit group as they adjust together to life-altering injuries.

The medical center's amputee center, which opened this year, is the second such facility created by the Defense Department to treat service members wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"I love being around here - it makes you feel more normal," said Ramirez, who grew up in Long Beach, Calif.

Ramirez was on foot patrol in Ramadi on Jan. 11 when he was hit above his right ankle by an anti-tank round. He said he was alert while a combat medic quickly performed a crude amputation on the city street. <...>

L http://www.leighm.net http://www.furl.net/members/leigh_m/rss.xml

-30-