[lbo-talk] capitalism is boring........

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun May 1 11:00:20 PDT 2005

On Sun, 1 May 2005, Carl Remick wrote:

> Yes, that's my point. Right now intellectually stimulating work is
> concentrated in the upper echelons of management. For everyone else, the aim
> is to deskill work as much as possible to ensure that no one is indispensable
> and likely to make onerous pay demands.
>
> Carl

I've done a bit of statistical consulting and had some meetings with upper management in both corporations and universities. From what I can see, they don't do the intellectually stimulating work; it's done by the people below them in the bureaucratic hierarchy. Yeah, they have a vision, blah blah, but the day to day creative, intellectual work is done elsewhere. --In modern organizations, the "intellectual deskilling" isn't the characteristic of the lower level workers; it's the characteristic of upper management.

Miles