[lbo-talk] capitalism is boring........

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 1 11:48:41 PDT 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> I've done a bit of statistical consulting and had some meetings with
> upper management in both corporations and universities. From what I
> can see, they don't do the intellectually stimulating work; it's done
> by the people below them in the bureaucratic hierarchy. Yeah,
> they have a vision, blah blah, but the day to day creative,
> intellectual work is done elsewhere. --In modern organizations,
> the "intellectual deskilling" isn't the characteristic of the
> lower level workers; it's the characteristic of upper management.

I would agree absolutely from my experience in hi tech. The problem is, you can't be creative without content. And the only people who handle content are the grunts and ...maybe...the first layer of management. Above that, it's pretty much all wanking and bean counting -- the ill effects of which, grunts have to be very creative about undoing.

Joanna