[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 4 10:48:53 PDT 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Too vague a criticism of too vague a target. Contrary
> to the received view on the left, it's not crazy to
> think that the fact that we are biological organisms,
> specifically primate with the central nervous systems
> of hunter-gatherers,

If by "hunter-gatherers" you mean homo-sapiens, then the biology had already been formed. If you want to give an evolutionary explanation of any human traits of the last 100,000 years or so you have to look for their formation in pre-h. sapiens species and their modes of existence.

Of course we are biological organisms, but evolutionary psychology like Freudianism is a vulgar biological reduction.

Carrol