[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 11:02:45 PDT 2005

> we are biological
> > > organisms,
> > > specifically primate with the central nervous
> > > systems
> > > of hunter-gatherers
>
> What is the CNS of a hunter-gatherer? Don't we also
> have the CNS of serfs,
> slaves, capitalists, workers, etc?
>

> > I am glad somebody here had the guts to say this.
> > agree.
> >
> > Thomas

It's a genuinely uninformed thing to say. The period of time in which humans have been civilized, rioughly 15,000 years, is totally insignificant ona n evolutionary scale. It might as well not exist. No natural selection (apart from the annihilation of the species) could take place in this period. Our NSN and the rest of was formed, evolutionarily, over the preceding 1.5 million years or so.

There is no guts in saying what everyone on this list believes except for a handful of outliers like me. In these circles, the conventional wisdom is that our biology is totally irrelevant to our behavior, and we knwo thsi necause bourgeois ideologists use biogical explanatioins to justify existing institutions, and if those explanations were good it would be bad for the things we want. This is of course a string of fallacies.

As for "provably" adequate ev psych or SB explanations, go out and learn something if you care to. I'll give some references to them as care to listen. I like davud Buss; book Strategies of Desire, for one. But don't hold these explanation to higher standards than you would for historical materialist explanations, which of course you will.

jks