[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Michael Dawson MDawson at pdx.edu
Wed May 4 11:44:06 PDT 2005

No, it not uninformed. I teach many sociology classes in which I make students learn and cogitate about kinship societies. I'm quite well informed about the history of our species, thanks.

And, speaking of caricatures, who on this list, other than Cadet Cox, believes that biology has no impact on human behavior? Doubting EP is not all the same as dismissing biology.

So, please answer my questions:

1. What exactly makes our CNS hunter-gatherer? It obviously was formed under hunting-gathering, but how does that explain the tight fit you see? Somebody (Marvin Harris maybe) I read thinks the best explanation of why our brains mushroomed is that increased size allowed us to keep chasing after wounded animals without overheating. That's a by-product of hunting, but you surely wouldn't say that distance-running is the main purpose of the homo sapiens brain, would you?

2. Name an EP explanation that works and is provable.

BTW, what is the contrast between EP and historical materialism? If EP works, wouldn't it be a supreme example of the excellence of explanations that emphasize actually-existing material processes?