[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed May 4 13:20:09 PDT 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> There is no guts in saying what everyone on this list
> believes except for a handful of outliers like me. In
> these circles, the conventional wisdom is that our
> biology is totally irrelevant to our behavior, and we
> knwo thsi necause bourgeois ideologists use biogical
> explanatioins to justify existing institutions, and if
> those explanations were good it would be bad for the
> things we want. This is of course a string of
> fallacies.

I'm probably the most ardent advocate of the "culture shapes many things we assume are natural" faction at LBO, and Justin's straw man certainly does not apply to me or any posters I can think of. Of course evolutionary adaptations shape human behavior and thought! Who are these people who argue that "biology is totally irrelevant"?

Miles