[lbo-talk] evo psych: balderdash

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 12:09:47 PDT 2005

Michael:

> Incest.

That's it? Why do you need EP to explain that? Explaining something that everybody already knows, and which has little to do with how people and societies function is pretty thin soup.

---

Huh? Who knows what? Not everybody knows that incest often leads to malformation. I doubt cats do, and they avoid boning their littermates as far as I know.

I think you are working with a more specific idea of EP than I am. I simply mean the idea that behavior has a biological component that presumably is genetically determined. This seems quite obvious. I ave no idea what specific people claiming the EP label are claiming. If they are using it to to use it as an explanation for particular non-species-universal practices, that is clearly wrong. If they are using it to hypothetical explanations for species-wide behavior, I don't see what the problem is.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

Discover Yahoo! Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html